Will hopefully update soon with a more exciting update about my Comics Studio class and the Ultimate Spider-Man comic I am trying to do, but for now, because I have blocked every other website I could possibly want to visit, I am going to liveblog revising my thesis prospectus, which is due today.
- It's 1:30 AM, and I've just started, haha. Oh God, I'm yawning. I need some caffeine.
- Have no Coca-Cola. Tea will have to do.
- *sniffs* What the hell kind of tea is this. I stole it from my dorm at Oxford. I had thought it was English Breakfast Tea, but now that I only drink EBT, I know this is absolutely not EBT. Well, I made it pretty weak. Should be okay.
- I'm writing my thesis on the relationship between the professionalization and rising prestige of gladiatorial combat and beast hunts, or venationes, in the Roman Empire, and the expression of fan culture in regards to these amphitheatral sports. Keep in mind that I know almost nothing about amphitheatral sports. I haven't even watched Gladiator all the way through.
- I also am not great at using Dreamwidth in Rich Text mode but want to be able to see my bullet points as I'm typing them.
- Procrastinating by e-mailing an Art History professor about mosaics. Reading over e-mail ten times and triple checking the spelling of his name. It's still work on my thesis!
- Sent. *freaks out* But in his e-mail address he goes by Chris instead of Christopher or C or just his surname, so that means he's cool.
- Why oh why is the Classics Library open only from 9 AM to 5 PM? Don't they know I do all my research and writing between 12 AM and 5 AM? Also, why can't undergraduates check out books from the Classics Library? I don't know whether to hate the Classics Library for all these reasons or to just be happy that I can get these books at all. (Probably the latter.)
- Meesely: "do you think doing all these readings is a waste of my time. I CAN'T TELL. TEACH ME HOW TO BE A HISTORY PERSON." Me: "
yesI've done like. three readings for my roman empire class and we have two or three a week BUT I AM A BAD EXAMPLE" She & I, simultaneously: "Reilly said I should do my readings." & "i think reilly does all of them"
- Wow, I am so ashamed now of how bad a student I am.
It's called prioritizing. I'm the favorite intern at both my workplaces, okay.
- My tea is cold.
- I need to clear off this table, fuck.
- Shit, my topic is vaguer in this revised prospectus than it was in the first draft. First draft thesis: "The questions I hope to explore in my thesis are whether the increased prestige of gladiators and venatores influenced and/or reflected changes in public or elite attitudes toward the stigmatized groups of people who largely made up the gladiators and venatores, and what, if any, consequences the social statuses of famous gladiators and venatores had for the established social hierarchy of the Roman world." IT WAS SO GOOD but fan culture.
- I can't believe I haven't started my annotated bibliography either. I definitely have six to eight secondary sources, but do I interact with them? Hard to say. It is now 2:32 AM.
- Meesely just pinned down my thesis for me: "The questions I hope to explore in my thesis are how Roman 'fan culture' reflected and enacted the increased prestige of gladiatores and venatores, and how this change in status influenced and/or reflected shifts in attitudes toward the stigmatized groups of people who largely made up these amphitheatral entertainers. If possible, I hope to broach the topic of the consequences the social statuses of famous gladiators and venatores had for the established social hierarchy of the Roman world."
- Damn it, I went to bed at 6:15 AM having finished the prospectus but not the annotated bibliography, and now it is noon. I had meant to spend today working on my comic project that is due tomorrow. DAMN IT. But hey the Classics Library is open now.
- Why can't I connect to the Internet on campus? Ugh, I've been having this problem for two weeks now. I should really figure out what's wrong.
- Art history professor is going to Europe for five weeks, noooo. Welp, I've got my book. Perhaps I'll see him when he ges back.
- Okay, done and sent at 5 PM. Wow, this is terrible.